2014

2014

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Julie Andrews. I knew that would get your attention:-).

Yep, the Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton selected poems, songs and lullabies to create a collection particularly for children (But should anything be particularly for children?) which is exactly the reason I checked the book out from the library:-). I think Julie and Emma did a reverent job of just who they included in this book...Ogden Nash, Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes, Shel Silverstein, A.A.Milne, and the list goes on. Some surprising, some not so surprising. Some far too cutesy and maybe even trite for me, BUT I didn't write this blog for a critique of the book, I am writing to present a poem I thought would do me good to remember. And it might do you good also:-).

MY SYMPHONY
To live content with small means,
to seek elegance rather than luxury,
and refinement rather than fashion,
to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich,
to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly,
to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart,
to bear all cheerfully,
do all bravely,
await occasions,
hurry never--
in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious,
grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony.
William Ellery Channing

2 comments:

  1. Sophie just got this book as a Christmas present...we haven't gone into it much, but I'll be sure to pay more attention now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... I'd love for the clamor of my busyness to be stilled so that the symphony of life could be more fully heard and appreciated. Lovely poem. THANKS for highlighting it for us all.

    ReplyDelete