2014

2014

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Make this because you like yourself a whole bunch.

I promise to not make this a blog solely about recipes (although there is the temptation) but I had to include this weekend treat my husband and I had and super enjoyed. P.S. I even told my very cute, and truthful, Midwestern grandmother about it and she said it sounded good. This coming from a woman whose favorite food is the hot dog!!! Her exact words were, "I'd have to say most of the recipe's you make do not sound appetizing, but this one does." She is not a fan of Indian, nor Thai, nor Mexican, nor Greek foods, but I do agree even she would like this one. I've built the recipe out of a Betty Crocker one and through time have made it tastier than when begun. Eat up!!

Black Bean and Sausage Soup Made in a Large Pot on the Stove
Two cans of black beans, not drained, dumped in.
One fat sweet potato, microwaved, skinned, and then cut up in big chunks, dumped in.
A cup or so of cut up carrot tidbits, dumped in.
One onion, chopped up, dumped in.
Fresh spinach, sliced up, add in.
I use breakfast sausage, but I'm sure you can use any kind, chorizo, Italian, bratwurst. Cut up into one inch pieces, precooked, and then dumped in.
Four cloves of garlic, pressed (or chopped up), dumped in.
2 to 3 cups water (depending on how thick you like your soup add more or less)
One and a half chicken bouillon cubes (or use chicken stock, three cups worth and no need for the water)
Salt, pepper, coriander...a few shakes into the pot will do.

(Through time you can add any other kind of veggie you may like, ie. corn, green beans, regular potatoes, make it your own.)

Bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes. You may eat as is, OR you can puree about two to three cups worth in your blender. Puree the meat, sweet potato, onion, everything, don't be choosy. Pour the puree back in the pot and WHAHLAH, eat with pleasure. Serve with rolls, crackers, cheese, tortilla chips. I make a roll called a Nun Puff, but I'll save that recipe for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment