Lots of times before I write on this thing I have a good deal in mind of what I will write about, but not today. Bear with my stream of consciousness.
What I have been reading:
Stories of Holocaust victims. I went to the Holocaust museum in DC for the second time in my life and came back home and hit the library up for at least 5 books about soldier's, survivors, and children of survivors of the holocaust. I read through two of them. That's all I've decided to get through for now. I will return the other 3. It sounds callous, but two books about little girls and their travels through ghetto, through loss, through memories, is two stories too many right now. One story is a lot, period. One story is, sadly, one too many. Heartbreaking that there are sooo many more to follow.
What I've been thinking:
Of taking a Spanish class come next semester. I have convinced myself that I would love to speak and learn another language and Spanish seems most useful (and close to Italian, but much more convenient). Funny to think about learning a language for convenience sake. But I think I would speak it well, and the challenge is inspiring to me, so I just might go for it.
What I have been listening to:
My husband reading to me. He read to me about this teacher who, along with her fourth grade students, had an eulogy for "I can't". They held a funeral for that phrase. The students were to write down all the things they believed they could not do, and then they were to put their now crumbled up list into the compost pile outside of their classroom. That way their "I can't's" could grow into something much more useful. I told Ess Gee he and I should write a list of things we say we cannot do, and then burn it in our fire pit. We then discussed just how very disguised adults "I can't's" are. They hide themselves in "I don't have enough time for.... Or 'that's just not that important to me's'". Adults are good fakers.
What I have been seeing:
The leaves along the 40 highway/freeway. (I never know if it's highway or freeway here. In California you are always on a freeway.) Pinks and oranges together sort of take me off guard, reminding me of Old Navy commercials. I set the Old Navy commercials aside and then move on to the yellow's and limey greens and gold's and saturated reds.
What has made me laugh:
A good friend of mine recently got a hot tub for free. Who gets a hot tub for free? And who gets into hot tubs anymore? It's so very Tom Sellick, but I love it that she and her family has one.
That's good for now. I'll update more later.
Monday, November 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment