I went jean shopping yesterday. It took hours:-). I tried on at least 15 pairs of jeans. Finally I got excited about about a pair of jean trousers. I came home, laid them out on the bed and showed my husband. The first words out of his mouth were, "They look just like my Navy dungarees." (He was in the Navy for 9 years.) I thought, man, those Navy folks are quite fashionable:-).
My father went on a cruise over Christmas. He is 60 years old. This was his first time ever on a cruise. I emailed him to welcome him back home. His emailed response, verbatim, "Got home safe and sound and the cruise was the best time ever." What an incredible thrill to see that life, 60 years in, one is so delighted in experience that one can say, "best time ever." This is why I like growing up. Much more to fun to experience!!!!
My father-in-law, for Christmas gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble. I bought the DVD Because of Winn Dixie. One of my favorite movies growing up was Pollyanna with Hayley Mills. Because of Winn Dixie reminds me of that movie, except better soundtrack. (Both movies were created from books.) BWD is cast with quirky, misunderstood characters played such as Cicely Tyson, Dave Matthews, one furry dog, and AnnaSophia Robb. I love this movie's tenderness and spunk and grace. I could say more, but I'll leave it there for now. I literally laugh out loud while watching it. I love the writing. Okay, now, I'm done. There is this one scene where Cicely's character shows Robb a tree whose branches are tied with swinging glass bottles, etched into my memories sight always. Everyone has a story. Okay, done.
I am reading Joseph Cambell's The Power of Myth. One of my favorite quotes, so far, because there are many, is "...some people have a very hard time loving God, because there's no imperfection there. You can be in awe, but that would not be real love. It's Christ on the cross that becomes lovable...[because Christ was human and experienced] suffering, suffering is imperfection." Jesus makes God a little easier to come close to. Such a lovely and powerful truth. Oh, and Campbell also says this, "People say what we're seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think that's what we're really seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive." I get that entirely.
Sight, sound, touch, smell, taste, and acknowledging and caring for the truth that we are not just natural beings, but spiritual ones. Those five senses can connect us to our spirits. It's all interwoven. To 2014.
Saturday, December 28, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment