2014

2014

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

There is no such thing as...

perfect. There isn't. I don't know if that was something our Puritanical ancestors wanted to burn into our skulls and so we've been combatting the impossiblity of it in our faith, in our work, in our own personal time line to things, in how we view ourselves physically, mentally, but I honestly do not believe there is such a thing as to what the word "perfect" means. I, at one time, wrote a paper on the origin of the word "cool", why we use it like we do and it's life through the decades. But I now think I would like to write a paper on the origin of "perfect." I know if we removed it from our vocabulary, there would easily enter another word to take it's place and put the same kind of falsified pressure on the human race, so I don't think the removal of the word is the answer. I'm not sure what I would do to it...yet.

I hear a lot of woman say, "Well, this is not where I thought I would be." Because somewhere in their "perfect" timeline to their life, how they are living now, where they are living now, does not match with where they thought they would be. I guess this has more to do with expectations, BUT where do these expections come from...from someone else's idea of perfect. Where do we get the whole saga of the American Dream...two point two kids and a two car garage and a white picket fence...someone else's idea of perfection. I was having this email conversation with a young woman who is a full-time student, but is in desperate need of a full-time job. She doesn't want to quit school in fear that she will not go back. I had a great big chuckle at my own experience of school. If I break it down, really, it took me from 1994 to 2007 to get my two year degree. I love it!! There is no shame in this, because it is mine. It is how I played out with life, and life played out with me. The point is, it is done.

I don't know. Drop kick perfect. There's no such thing. Stick with being an original. Stick with listening to you. Be creative with what life hands you. We only do it once. Do it well. Not perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! And it got me in the right frame of mind for my interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this - so true and good to hear someone else say it.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete