2014

2014

Friday, July 16, 2010

A Purpose-Driven Life X 3

Three times this topic has come up. It started with Ess Gee at the kitchen table yesterday. He asked if I thought we had a purpose in this life. I said, "For me to have 'a purpose' in this life feels too small, too narrow, too much weight. " It's kinda like those people who believe there is a "soulmate". To believe there is a soulmate is to have too much pressure on one person. It's like, well, if they're not the one in this whole entire universe, then who is? I believe I am to love what I do and explore that richly on a regular basis. I'm to love others in the way that makes them most know it. I'm to help out folks. And I'm here to say an eager, yeh-yeh, this is God and, a knodding-of-my-head-yep-yep, he is great! And go from there, figuring it all out, processing it all through, in all the ways that fuel the adventure, the love, the growth. Ess Gee agreed with me. To have "a purpose" just seems like it comes up short. But it's not to say that God is not intentional--because he is. I met my best friend from college over 15 years ago. I do think God did say, they are gonna love each other, and be great with one another, and go through things with one another, I like how they match up. But I don't think my bff is gonna say at the end of her life/my life, SHE was in my life for THIS such and such a purpose. I think God matches people with ideas, and other people, and places, but I have a hard time believing it's for one thing, one purpose. Maybe that's man's way of coping with layers, dimensions, complexities.
Then again, if I read what I wrote above over again, maybe what I shy away from when it comes to "purpose" is the title...my purpose is to be a mom, or to be a nurse, or to teach, or to, you know what I mean? Because if I read what I believe, my general theme, or if you wanna call it purpose, is to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment