2014

2014

Monday, March 4, 2013

My apologies to those who teach English.

So I was at Harris Teeter, our local grocery store here in the South, and I was at the check out.  I had my hands full, plus I was carrying a basket.  The cashier, a young man of in his early 20's, says, "Here let me help you" and he grabs a few things out of my hands.  I respond with a "Thank you very much."  About a minute into our customer/employee interaction of checking out, he says to me, "Are you an English teacher?" And then he kinda quietly begins to say, "Because you know, it's kinda of fun to figure out what people do for a living by the way they speak and look..." and he trails off.  I smile, tell him I am not, but I have lots of respect for those that are.  In my head, I am thinking, "I don't have make up on, I am wearing my glasses,  I haven't brushed my hair, I am wearing all black."  Eghads!!  God help the English teachers this kid has had!  I think our exchange is over, but about 30 seconds after I respond, he says, "Well, I just gotta know...what is it that you do?"  I laugh (boy, this is getting strange:-)) and tell him I work as a home health aide to those who are disabled.  He's blushing, and says, "That is kinda similar to an English teacher."  And he trails off again saying something about teaching/instructing students is like teaching and instructing those with disabilities.  And again, I think, "Now, this is funny...he's equating disabled people with students and vise-versa:-)."  I'm sure there are some English teachers or teachers in general who have felt the same way at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment