2014

2014

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

First Day Jitters

I start a new job today.  I haven't started a new job in quite awhile.  I feel a little rusty.  I'll be working with an 80-year-old woman three days a week.  She lives on her own, has a prosthetic leg and some forgetfulness, and is a widow as of September.  Her daughter wants her to get up and get about, and I get the feeling her daughter wants her mother back to the way she once was.  She wants her mother to want to garden, to read, to wake up at 8:30am, to go out front and greet the neighbors.  I think this will be an interesting time, for all three of us.  I've always liked mediation and consultation and I just may be using those muscles more than I know.
  I listened to www.pray-as-you-go.com this morning, sorta to set the clock right in me.  The speaker opened up with pointing us to a God of truth.  He then arranged the seating to allow us to sit before God in our full and total selves.  The self that is known by God, the self that is seen by God, the self that is with God...be it good, bad or indifferent in our spirits.  I admitted to myself while sitting before God that I am worried about today.  I tend to go quiet when I am in worry.  It's like I am conserving my energy for whatever lies ahead.  (Oddly, maybe even sometimes conserving my energy to admit that I am worried:-).)
   To get my head on straight, I have to think, "I'm not going to know everything, nor should I.  These people are all new to me and I am new to them.  And I just wish to let this woman and her daughter know that they are not alone and they are loved.  I don't have to answer everything for them.  I can more often than not, just listen to what is being said, and sometimes that is enough.  And sometimes I can listen through what is being said, and help interpret it into something helpful and full of breath.  By the grace of God."  Amen.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment