2014

2014

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Not for the faint of heart, but definately worth it.

Being married to a soldier, I have certainly seen my fair share of insurgent-enacted, Middle-Eastern based, camouflage-wearing films. I watch them with the ever critical eye of my husband who can spot a fake from a convoy away. Most of the movies we have seen would be classified as war-esque...kinda like war, but not really. Until two days ago. We rented Restrepo. Rent it. The heart-breaking reality of this documentary by Sebastian Junger makes you pray for the soldier's who are featured in this film. It makes you remember we still have soldiers out there now and this war is not yet over. A phrase like "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" means something here, not easily brushed off or left to fall on deaf ears. When rereading those last few sentences, I actually feel a little over the top, but seriously it's the kind of movie that does that to you.

The video was captured over the length of one platoon's deployment in Afghanistan back in 2007. And when I have tried to order my thoughts to bring these men's lives some sort of honor here to retell their story, I fall short. Restrepo is disturbing, upsetting, understandable, forgiving, truthful, vunerable, precious, harsh and more human than probably most of us will ever experience. If you have a set of high standards of moral prententions, set them aside, watch this movie, and pray. Man, oh, man, we have a lot to be thankful for. Man, oh, man, we all have a lot of work to do to help out one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment