2014

2014

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Half way through half this book.

I picked up Donald Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years yesterday from the library and I am half way through. I'll finish it today, but here's what I am understanding as of now. He is writing about writing "story" and its basic structure. Not a poorly written story, but a good one. He structure's good story with this concept--A character who wants something and overcomes conflict to get it. (There's more, but this is the bare bones of it.) So with this stripped down definition he starts to examine his life. He sees his life is not filled with good story. His life was safe, comfortable, made, uneventful (and all these adjectives are coated with fearfulness). What I am gathering from the rest of the read so far, is this: Great story is all around you, but it's up to you to engage in it. Particularly the structures of what make up a good story are all around you, but we just wind up too afraid to engage in them. I say this because Don only began to feel like he was beginning to live out a good story, when he met up his father after 20 so years of not talking to him, started trying to lose the weight he carried for most of his life (and then actually losing it), pursuing a woman who was only at one time a friend of a friend. His father, his weight, this woman--already in place. He just needed to act on it. And then I, of course, start asking this question, "What have I been putting off?" Because that's what reading half this book has caused me to wonder. Don was putting off talking to his dad, losing weight, really engaging with this girl. So last night, I started doing some things that I have been putting off. They really haven't been fun things, persay, but I need to do them to live out a good story, or at least a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment