My hubs and I went beer tasting last week at, of all places, Whole Foods. We had so much fun! For 5 bucks each we got to taste 10 different beers, mainly summery brews. Paired with the various beers were two types of cheeses and a crisp nut and fruit bread, that ate more like a cracker. The gentleman leading the group of about 15 of us said that cheese was made less for wines and more for beers. And I think I agree after our evening.
We had a sheet before us that broke down each beer by: appearance, smell, taste, mouth-feel, and overall drinkability. I'm putting this post out there because I thought some of Ess Gee's descriptions were great--and truly his own.
On one beer he described the smell like--"Lemon Pledge":-).
On another beer smell he writes, "Like a humid morning". (I'm like, what? That's a good one!)
For our last beer we tasted, he described the appearance as "cappuccino" and the smell as "roasted".
We got such an education along with some really great flavors. The only true beer that can ever be labeled as "Trappist" beer is a beer created within the walls of the monastery. Not inside, not Trappist:-).
Random facts of useless knowledge is sometimes the best way to spend an evening. We would definitely do this again.
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment