2014

2014

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sticking with jumping rope.

Ugh. Maybe I just need to write about this to get over it. You know, put it out there in the universe and hope it will come back to me better than I imagine, or something like that. I am meeting with a personal trainer today. I can't stand even writing that. Except I really like her. She'd be my friend, I'm sure, if she weren't my personal trainer. Ess Gee and I joined a gym a few weeks ago. We were getting cabin fever with North Carolina's cold and I need to walk for mental health, so gym membership became therapy. I thought, "Cool, get me on a treadmill, lift me some free weights, all good." BUT, this gym comes with a three time meeting with a personal trainer as part of your membership. The first meeting with her I told her all my neurosis and all the things I wasn't going to do. I was putting the power back into my hands, I called the shots. I wasn't going to find out my fat content, my weight by their scales, my blood pressure. I know this is walking the fine line of irresponsible, but I've been there. I used to do this, to the extreme, and now that I'm free from it, I'm fine. My husband, on the other hand, who has met with the personal trainer twice already, now wants to cut out caffeine, do training circuits, and try kettle balls. Me, I'm a classicist and still just wanna walk on a treadmill and watch the occasional Today Show. I even told the PT that I'd give up my three meetings with her, and she could give them to anyone she wants, but that wasn't going to work. SO, today, I meet with her, to go lean on a huge rubber ball, and roll on some styrofoam cylinder to help my core muscles. These feel trendy to me and that's partially why I don't do them. In California, (and I'm sure in other parts of the US) where I lived for a good portion of my life, there was this huge trend to rollerblade along the boardwalk at the beach. I will tell you right now, everything in me opposed this. I was not gonna be rollerblading anywhere. Too many people doing it. Same reason I never tried snowboarding. I stick to ski's because everyone else was doing something else. Not to say that I don't love me some occasional skinny jeans, or a viewing of Avatar, I'm just saying. My poor personal trainer, she will be getting a mouthful today, all the while I'm pulling on some plastic, stretchy rope with handles to help strengthen my upper body:-). If anything, she and I will get a good laugh:-).

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so with you. I stopped going to my gym because (A) turns out I hate the gym, (B) it's too crowded after work, and (C) they spell "judgment" (as in "no judgement zone) wrong--there is no medial "E" in judgment, unless you're in Britain, which we're not. Now I walk every day, and 56 lbs lost don't lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My amen hand is in the air waving. I do not know CL, but I have lost 34 pounds and simply walk, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete