2014

2014

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

http://www.ajjacobs.com/content/home.asp

I finished over the July 4th weekend a book by AJ Jacobs--The Year of Living Biblically.  He is the the editor for Esquire Magazine, an agnostic, a father of three and a full-fledged New Yorker.  The book was incredible in many, many ways, but something that profoundly struck me as this man soared, trudged, nit-picked, uncovered his way through the Old and New Testament was this:  He wound up more thankful than when he began.  Not in a "Thank God I'm not one of those!" kind of way, but in a, "I'm thankful for this plate of food, I'm thankful for my wife, I'm thankful for the clothes on my back" kind of way.  I was sooo tickled to read that this thing called the Bible affected someones life in that way.  Reading scripture has been a part of my life for such a long time (albeit not with as much regularity as desired) that it becomes one thing, so it was uplifting to me that here was this agnostic who made the story and the people and the lessons=HIS LIFE for one year's length of time and he wound up more grateful than when he began.  I won't tell you anymore.  There are lots of beautiful and really funny insights.  Just go read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment