2014

2014

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Dear God, It's me Ericka.

I am in a new place in our relationship, God.
I am discovering, 25 years in, what loving you is about.
In some ways it feels like we both are evolving.
Even though I have certainly heard before that you are the same,
yesterday, today, tomorrow (and
we are supposed to cling to that because that is part of your character
--the "world all around me is chaos, but you are the Rock on which we stand" kind of character--)
 and while I know that to be true
I also know that I find it intoxicating to say,
you are not the same God I met so many years ago.
And I am not the same Ericka.
Hopefully you like me more.  I like you more (and I liked you before, so this is saying a little something).
I think I am more accepting of
the silent, mystical
part of you because
Love has more meanings now.
Love has always been vulnerable (that's a monster part of its definition),
but now I am learning the dynamism of your love--like even when I'm stuck and waiting (which is a lot) you are still loving me.  I always want the movement forward kind of love, but sometimes love is still, doesn't move at all, and it's still love.
I think we've gotten to know each other more and best (and it has been this way the whole time) when I have tried to get to know you.
Our relationship does not come by osmosis.  It comes with me praying and the keeping on of praying. I have used your own stories to tell you what I am in need of--such as the Red Sea parting, or manna coming down from the heaven.  I think you like me talking to you that way.  It's like you're glad I am paying attention.
My prayers sometime put a light on your works and let you know that I like what you have done.  And I mean, what artist does not
1.) want their work referenced in a positive way, and
2.) like to be told their work is good.
Even you relish that.  Even you, God, want to be appreciated.  So, thank you, because while
I do not know a lot, I do know what matters.  We matter.  You matter.
Because really, what was the point of your death if people didn't matter?
But even more importantly, what was the point of your life, if people didn't matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment