2014

2014

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Frederick Buechner. Frederick Buechner. Frederick Buechner.

I fell in love with this writer many, many years ago, introduced to his work by a friend.  I still posture my body in a bow, with my hands in a praying position for this humbling introduction.  He simply makes life better, and, truly, isn't that the best we could do for anyone?

This is something Buechner has written in regards to Jesus's words--Love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul, and with all your strength.  [Such a beautiful way to love someone, yes?]

"The final secret, I think, is this:  that the words "You shall love the Lord your God" become, in the end, less a command than a promise.  And the promise is that, yes, on the weary feet of faith and the fragile wings of hope, we will come to love him at last, as from the first he has loved us--loved us even in the wilderness, especially in the wilderness, because he has been in the wilderness with us.  He has been in the wilderness for us.  He has been acquainted with our grief.  And, loving him, we will come at last to love each other, too, so that, in the end, the name taped on every door will be the name of the one we love.
  'And these words which I command you this day shall be upon your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and you shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you rise.'" 
   Excerpt from A Room Called Remember

  I have felt many days lately in the wilderness.  And for him to love me, despite my own acts of bewildering, and my own overgrowth of despondency, I am very, very grateful.
  And for Buechner's insight---Jesus's words transformed into a benediction over our lives and not as a TO DO LIST...aaaah, freedom and excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment